Friday 26 June 2009

Michael Jackson

I can't let today's news of Michael Jackson death pass without mention. He formed part of the soundtrack of my life and was without doubt one of the greatest and most influential recording artists of all time. He was also a very funky man and I've had more fun dancing to his music over the years than was probably good for me.
I'm having a Ruby Day today and have just been playing her the 'Off the Wall' album. We couldn't help ourselves from having a dance and getting a bit emotional.

I spoke to my twin sister this morning and we remembered the first time we heard the 'Thriller' album, on a European Studies trip (our first time abroad) to Holland and Denmark in 1983.
It was the only cassette we had on the bus and it was played non-stop , back to back, for a whole week. We'd never heard anything like it before and none of us, on the entire trip, could get enough of it. It's an album that is impossible to tire of, no matter how many times you hear it. Just wonderful, wonderful, life enhancing, brilliant, music.

This is probably my favourite track and I love this video, when Jackson was young, black, with all his career and success ahead of him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrPTDU40hO4

No comments: