Tuesday 6 May 2008

Dylfryn Ardudwy, Wales






Friday 2nd May and train, after work, to Barmouth North Wales, to stay with our friend Andy and the dog we share with him, Georgi.

Told Andy our news soon after arriving and seemed genuinely happy for us. Last person we're telling until week 13.

Checked my Blackberry all the way there for news of Mayor election result. Agonising wait ended about 11.00 with a news flash saying Boris Johnson had won. Made me feel sick with disappointment.

But awful depression lifted by news at 11.00am that my darling sister Sara had given birth, 3 weeks early to Florence Evelyn Bennett at 5.30am, 6lb 2oz. All the family had been trying to reach us but no signal at the cottage where we were staying.

Terrible frustration that we can't drop everything and see Florrie (I've seen most of 6 nephews and nieces on the day they were born) but can't get up until next Sunday.

Apart from spending some really fun and 'quality' time with Andy and Georgi, our highlights of our trip were:
  • Seeing Portmeirion (my 2nd visit). Location for The Prisoner, one of my top 5 favourite TV shows of all time.

  • Festiniog railway. Scuse spelling. The train ride was beautiful but the terminus in Festiniog was bleak, oppressive and closed! What a god awfully depressing place. All that slate!

  • Seeing the magnificent coastline of the armpit of Wales. Could quite easily see myself retiring there

  • Seeing lambs and baby cows, with their Mum's in the fields made more poinient by Florrie's arrival and the expectation of my own little one inside Ibs tummy


My Mum told me today that she and Dad holidayed in Snowdonia when she was heavily pregnant with Sara and I so it makes my connection with North Wales very understandable.



No comments: