Tuesday 20 May 2008

Friday 16th May: Copperfield Road







I'm really behind and got a lot of catching up to do since last week. So I'll create a post for each day I need to write up.

On Friday night, Stephen and I went to Acme Studios, Copperfield Road, Mile End, to meet Pete and Karen and see Pete's latest paintings.

We see Pete's work a couple of times a year and it's always thrilling to see how much they've progressed since the last time we saw them. This time time, they've grown in confidence, assurance and beauty than at anytime I've seen them before.

They're everything I consider good art to be and it's a very rare thing;
  1. They don't look like anyone else's painting and are completely original

  2. They are totally modern, foward looking yet acknowledge the past. You can see where these pictures have descended from, there place in art history and connection to the painters Pete admires. They aspire to be something completely new and are art for the 21st century!

  3. They are rich in meaning, content and intellectual integrity

  4. They are magnificent and beautiful to look at. Difficult and demanding on the eyes, they make your eyes work hard

The pictures above are really inadequate but just so you get the idea. Sorry Pete, I know these don't do them any justice.


I really liked this new block of high-tec flats on Copperfield Road

We finished a really lovely evening with dinner at the Lahore Kebab House near Bethnal Green. The food was superb and some of the best Asian food I've had outside India.












No comments: