Tuesday 8 July 2008

Shepherd's Market

Last night Ibs and I went to a gallery in Shepherd's Market, Mayfair, to see a show of paintings by a friend of one her work colleagues.
A Slade graduate, the exhibition was a collection of portraits of friends, nudes and a few landscapes. Although they weren't particularly to my taste, I'm sure the show will be a success and sell out.


I enjoyed taking this picture of Michael Nyman in front of his portrait. He used to be a bit of a hero of mine, the English Philip Glass. I loved his collaborations with Peter Greenaway when I was at college and I still listen to the 'Zed and Two Naughts' soundtrack every now and again.

Yesterday morning's iPod shuffle was on melancholy form, quite suitable for a damp, grey Tuesday morning. But it did produce some beautiful music.

Radiohead - Reckoner (from In Ranbows, still haven't heard in one go yet but anytime a track from this crops up in the shuffle - it sounds just sublime)
Bernard Hermann - Psycho - Murder
The Doves - Catch the Sun
Silje Nergaard - On and On
Marvin Gaye - Anger (from 'Hear My Dear' and my 2nd favourite Marvin Gaye album)
Arctic Monkeys - I bet you look good on the dance floor (changed the mood a bit but such a superb, English, 3 minute pop song, brilliant)
Jeff Buckley - Grace (utter genius, utterly sublime, touched by something divine and from my 2nd favourite album of all time)
Prince - Mountains (12'' version) (more 'all times', this is actually my favourite track / song / piece of music of all time, bar none. Has to be the 12'' 15 minute version though not the album version. I never tire of hearing it, it always elates me and will be the last piece of music played at my Humanist funeral)
Tom Waits - Muriel
The Clash - Spanish Bombs (one of two great songs I know written about the Spanish civil war, the other being the Manics' 'if you tolerate this your children will be next')

No comments: