Monday 7 July 2008

Lady Chatterley

Sunday. Tipping down with rain most of the day and our friend Joanna had to cancel her afternoon birthday barbeque. So Ibs, Georgi and I braved the elements and went to Roundwood Park.

The annual Respect Festival was on it's second, very wet, day and there were very few people there. Annoyingly, I left my camera at home and missed entering Georgi into the dog show.
One of the stands represented the Brent Cycling lobby and we talked to an inspirational couple, on their 2nd child who, like us, have decided to live without a car.

To get about with their children they use public transport and their bikes, one of which is one of these wonderful Dutch bikes. I borrowed theirs for a test cycle and really liked it. We're definitely going to get one but at over a thousand pounds, when Little One arrives, we'll ask all our friends and family to contribute towards one instead of gifts.

On Sunday evening we watched a recent french film version of 'Lady Chatterley'. I don't think I've ever seen a French language production of a very British novel before. I thought it was a very good, very modest film which at it's core has a powerful performance by Marina Hands.
Her dominance of the film can be seen even in this still used in it's UK marketing and the DVD cover. It's a film and performance that I can't stop thinking about.

No comments: