Friday 18 July 2008

Brunswick Centre

On Wednesday evening, Ibs and I were sat at our computer when she thought she felt Little One moving inside her tummy. She'd felt butterflies a little before, which is supposed to be early movements but this sensation was defiantly more like little kicks. I held my hand on her upper tummy to see if I could feel any kicks coming through but they're weren't quite strong enough. But it was thrilling to think of Little One, making himself known, at last.

Last night, Ibs had the same kicking sensations and with my hand on her tummy, I defiantly felt one big kick, strong enough for me to feel. The kicks have only happened so far, when we've been together at night so we think Little One is responding to the sound of our voices and wanting to join in on our time together.

On Thursday evening we watched a wonderful film about Alastair Cooke on BBC4, I think called 'The Unseen Alastair Cooke'. It was a portrait of his life seen through his recently discovered home movies. Cooke has always been for me the perfect role model and the epitome of English Gentleman. Beautifully dressed, erudite and urbane. He is one of the very greatest broadcasters of our age and a unique, compassionate witness to the 20th Century. I still feel the hole at 8.45 on Friday evenings where 'Letter from America' used to be on Radio 4.

The past few days have been a marathon of cycling. On Thursday morning I cycled from home to Tufnell Park, from there to Millbank and in the afternoon to Hammersmith and then home. This morning I cycled from home to Southwalk and then on to Millbank and home in the evening. It must be something like 60km in 2 days.
It was exhilarating seeing some different routes through the city and I loved seeing some old favourite buildings of mine. Here are a few.

The Brunswick Centre. As remarkable a feet of urban regeneration in London as I know. I used to live round the corner and always admired it even in it's worst, most neglected days.



179 Harrow Road. One of my absolute favourite buildings, in the world. One day, I will live here.



This building, just behind Russell Square is new to me. A beautifully restored deco, industrial premises.


The glorious Post Office Tower.







National Theatre.





No comments: