Thursday 31 July 2008

The Dark Night

Ibs and I took Little One to the Vue cinema, Shepherd's Bush, last night to see Christopher Nolan's 'The Dark Night'.Terrific film. Bit over long but a very powerful and muscular peice of film making.
Heath Ledger steels the show by far and I now see what all the fuss has been about.

However, my favourite performance was Gary Oldman's, which was uncharacteristicly restrained and modest.

The soundtrack, in the Joker's scenes, sounds a lot like Jonny Greenwood's brilliant score for 'There Will be Blood'.

I'm struck that 'Dark Knight' shares a similar pessimism, a relentlessly bleak view of the human condition and lack of moral redemption with other recent films, such as; 'There Will Be Blood', 'No Country for Old Men' and 'Before the Devil Knows Your Dead'. Films have got very depressing recently.

Next time, I'm defiantly taking Little One to a cheerful film, with a very happy ending.

No comments: