Saturday 20 December 2008

Strictly Come Dancing


This is the first year we've watched this show from start to finish, missing only a few programmes during it's run. We've absolutely loved watching such great Saturday night entertainment.
It's got pretty much everything you could wish for from a great bit of telly; glamour, competitiveness, great music, attractive people and politically sound.
It's the most all-inclusive TV possible and the only programme, I can think of, in the past 20 years, that is as enjoyed by me as it is by everyone at work, my Mum and Dad and my nieces and nephews.
For me, one of the things that makes it such a pleasure is Bruce Forsythe. His scripts are lousy, he's embarrassing, he makes mistakes but it makes him all the more human and connects the programme to a great tradition of British Variety and television.
I've been watching Brucie on Saturday nights since I can remember, watching the Generation Game with my family from the early seventies. Here I am now, all those year later, sitting down on Saturday nights, watching a Brucie fronted Variety programme, with my family, and loving it.
I really like how the Saturday Guardian summed up 'Strictly' in it's 'In Praise Of' column:

'Dancing is affirmative, optimistic and democratic. It embodies the idea that the world can be a better and happier place. Those are useful ideas in difficult times.'
Shame that Rachel didn't win, as she should have, although our favourite throughout, was Lisa.

No comments: