Tuesday 29 December 2009

Christmas Day

After a lifetime of Christmas hospitality provided by my Mum and latterly my brothers-in-law, the day finally arrived for me to start to return all that generosity and host Christmas day, for all the family, for the very first time, at our house. No modest undertaking now that the immediate family now numbers, 15 individuals; 8 adults and 7 children aged from 1 to 10. But I think we pulled it off.
My Mum and Dad and twin sister's family arrived on Christmas Eve afternoon, Ruby and Florrie had a really fun bath time together and we all had stew for dinner. A mince pie, carrot and glass of sherry were left out for Santa and Rudolf, by the fireplace, along with our empty stockings.
We all got up at a respectable hour, opened a few presents, leaving the rest until my elder sister Jane's family arrived later in the morning. For breakfast we had cereals and croissants and when the Hargreaves arrived, we served salmon blinis.
I had a frantic couple of hours in the kitchen; despite doing as much prep as possible the day before, it still took far longer than I predicted to roast and reheat all the veg and cook the birds; 8 plump partridges. It was the biggest meal I'd ever undertaken and I'd been dreaming and nervous about it for sereral weeks. It all finally came out, fairly warm at 2.00, an hour later than I thought. A winter salad, followed by Partridge, maple and whole grain mustard roasted parsnips, pan roasted carrots, chestnut and garlic brussell sprouts, apple braised red cabbage and a red current and wine gravy. I was pleased and relieved but wish the birds had browned up a bit more.
After a break to open our Secret Santas and for a periodical photograph of all the children on the sofa, Jane dished up a flaming Christmas pudding and we completed our Christmas dinner, about 7.00 and was followed by a slightly tipsy, festive, family dance.
The Hargreaves departed at 8.00 and we rounded off avery happy Christmas Day 2009 by watching 'The Hangover', just as funny second time round, with Matthew and Sara.




















No comments: