Monday 1 September 2008

First of September

As soon as we hit the 1st of September I'm always all too aware of the inexorable slide of Summer into Autumn and today, I felt it more acutely than ever. I saw the first fallen acorns and conkers in Hyde Park, the squirrels were out in force gathering provisions and I felt a sharp, cold nip on my fingers as I held my handle bars. And several vehicles had their lights on when I rode home.

However, despite winter's looming shadow, there are many reasons to feel happy and causes for celebration.

  1. Ibolya went to St Mary's this morning for Little One's latest check up. Our notes said I shouldn't go to this one so Ibolya went with her Mum. The tests were for Glucose, Haemoglobin levels and to check for antibodies. Everything is as good as it could be, and Little One's size and development is totally normal. The Ibolyas also got to listen to Little One's racing heartbeat, lucky things and they both a had a little cry. Our next visit, which I defiantly won't miss, is beginning of October

  2. Tomorrow, my best friend Stephen celebrates the 14th anniversary of the start of his relationship with Christophe

  3. Also tomorrow, my oldest friend (blimey - it must be 30 years now) and brother-in-law, Matthew, celebrates his 40th birthday and is having 2 parties to celebrate

  4. Atticus, one of Stephen and Christophe's cats, returned home on Friday after being missing for 2 weeks

  5. Georgi has come to stay with us for the month

  6. After a couple of weeks hiatus, whilst Mark performs at the Edinburgh Festival, our Ranos evenings resume this week

  7. We're going on a trip to Yorkshire with my Mum and Dad to visit where my Dad was born and grew up. We'll also hopefully visit Salts Mill and the Bradford Museum of Film and TV

  8. Mark takes over managing the BBC West One comedy club and Rupert's Knock2Bag night returns to Bar FM at Shepherd's Bush

Less personal but other things making me happy about September include:


  1. The Bacon and Rothko shows opening at Tate Britain and Modern

  2. The small Powell / Pressberger season an Channel 4. Although I own most of their films, just seeing them listed excites me, reminds me what towering works of genius they are and makes me desperate to watch 'Life and Death of Colonel Plimp' (Britain's 'Citizen Kane') and 'Small Black Room' again

  3. The Saatchi gallery is reopening in Chelsea

  4. Apple are rumoured to be unveiling a new generation iPod Touch in the next couple of weeks

  5. And the Warhol show I saw at the Stedelijk Museum last year is on it's way to the Hayward

No comments: