Friday 12 September 2008

Bacon


Thursday night, I met Stephen, Christophe, Pete and Karen in the Morpeth Arms before going to the private view of the Francis Bacon exhibition at Tate Britain.
I've loved and admired Bacon since I first begun to be interested in art and have been aware of his work since I was a child.
I thought I'd seen a lot of his work over the years but nothing like as many that's being shown in this vast and comprehensive show.
I think it confirms him as the greatest British painter since Turner and I hope to go back many times while it's on.

Afterwards, we had dinner in the Rex Whistler restaurant, which was an absolute treat. It's such a terrific restaurant; superb service, well priced, great food and wine list. I had pigeon breast on celeriac, followed by (my favourite) duck, spinach and (dripping fried) chips. Wonderful way to finish a lovely evening.

No comments: