Wednesday 2 March 2011

Janelle Monae

janelle monae

janelle monae

janelle monae

Janelle Monae's debut album 'The ArchAndroid' was by far the best album, and my favorite, of last year. She's the latest in the great tradition of Afro-American, virtuoso, musicians who include Duke Ellington, James Brown, Jimi Hendrix, Prince, George Clinton and Grace Jones, that span musical genres and generations but sound equally unique and totally modern. You can hear all those people on her album as well as hints of David Bowie, John Barry and Bernard Herrmann. So it would be impossible for me not to absolutely love her and her album.
I read a review recently that said she was created in a laboratory as a super-musical cross between James Brown, Judy Garland, Andre 3000 and Steve Jobs.
I think that describes her pretty well.
I went to see her at the Roundhouse last night and she was a every bit as good as I expected her to be. Incredible band, great horn section and I loved seeing everyone in the band dancing and having as much fun on stage as the audience.
These pictures are by The Flyest on Flickr.

No comments: