Friday 19 March 2010

Satyagraha

I've been listening to Philip Glass's opera Satyagraha, on a very regular basis, since I was about 16. It's music that's extremely close to my heart and I think it's probably the best thing Philip Glass has ever done.
It's a meditation on the early life of Ghandi, during his time in South Africa, and the conception of his philosophy and practise of nonviolent resistance. It's an intensely powerful, beautiful, hypnotic and ultimately uplifting piece of music-theatre and I was cocker-hoop to see it on stage for the first time at English National Opera a couple of years ago. Having mostly only ever heard it on headphones (on my Walkman, Discman and iPod), it was a revelation to hear it performed acoustically and be able to see the musicians and conductor, at (very hard) work, performing the physically demanding music. It was even more significant to me that my big sister was also performing in it, as part of the magnificent chorus and along side Alan Oke's stunning performance as Ghandi.
It's currently being revived by ENO and I went along to see it again last night and it's no less impressive second time round. I had a great seat too - C2 Dress Circle -great view of the pit, stage and unlimited leg room! Just wish I hadn't been 50p short of an ice cream all evening.

DSC_0004

DSC_0005

DSC_0013

DSC_0010

DSC_0011

DSC_0014

No comments: