Friday 1 April 2011

Loaded



It's April! And ever since Jarvis played this last Sunday, I've had to listen to it again each day. It's now 20 years old and I've very fond memories of the summer it came out, at the hight of Acid House, and flogging tones of the Screamadelica album while working at HMV Oxford Circus.
I love it that this one track seems to sum up all of recorded British popular music up until that point. It's like a monument to our pop heritage as well as being totally modern and innovative. You can hear 'All You Need is Love' horns, Ian Stewart style keyboards, Led Zep guitar licks against a shoegazing dance/dub groove. There's a drum loop taken from an Italian bootleg mix of Edie Brickell's 'What I Am' and samples of Peter Fonda in 'The Wild Angels'. It's mixed and produced by Acid House DJ, Andy Wheatherall, who created the track by remixing an earlier Primal Scream track called 'I'm Losing More Than I'll Ever Have' to create a new track, unrecognisable from it's original, all created on the mixing desk. Turn up your speakers and give it a blast.

No comments: