Wednesday 6 May 2009

Che Day

I finally, finally got to see Che: Part One last week at 'Che Day' at the Lexi. They were showing both parts, in a 6 hour back to back Che marathon but I only had time to stay for the first.

It's a film I've waited most of my adult life to see and after many false starts (Raul Julia was perfectly cast but died, Terence Malik and Antonio Banderas couldn't get past pre-production) there couldn't have been a more perfect combination to bring Che to the screen than the director/actor partnership of Stephen Soderbergh and Benicio Del Torro (there also can't be any other actor who was so born to play a role, than this).
Che Part One, methodically and tells the story of Che's 2 year involvement in the guerrilla war in Cuba, showing his transition from wheezing asthmatic doctor to charismatic revolutionary leader. The second part, which I have to see very soon, tells of his final years leading the failed insurgency in Bolivia.
I loved the film, it's a remarkable experience and exemplary film making.


No comments: